I had concerns about my son. I take him to Gymboree. I noticed that he wasn't hitting all the developmental milestones that other kids were. He will talk, but not in sentences and he never asks for anything. He mostly just parrots what we say. He doesn't point to anything. He loves circles, walking in them mainly. He has his own language of gibber gabber. He is fascinated by water and ceiling fans. And a million other things.
I took him to see his pediatrician back in July of 2009 and she referred us to a Behavioral Specialist. We weren't able to get an appointment until December. We went to see the Specialist. After answering hundreds of questions and him playing with Dominick for a few minutes he left the room. I was expecting that we would need to see a Speech Therapist. Easy. I was in no way prepared to hear what came out of his mouth when he walked back into the room. "Your son is autistic" WHAT?When someone is diagnosed with asthma you give them breathing treatments and an inhaler. If someone is diagnosed with diabetes you give them insulin. I am in no way saying that I wish my son had asthma or diabetes instead of autism nor am I saying that it is an easier road to go down. When someone is diagnosed with autism???
The Behavioral Specialist told us to contact Autism Speaks, get him into Speech Therapy and Engagement Therapy. Who do I call? Where are these Specialists? What do I do? Basically what I got from the person my pediatrician sent me to for answers was, Your son has autism. Good Luck.
So I call back my pediatrician to find out what I should do next. She basically informs me that she sent me to the Behavioral Specialist and that he should tell me where to go next. Great I now have two medical professionals with zero knowledge on how to help my autistic son.
I got in touch with Autism Speaks. Best thing I could have done. They have a package called The 100 Day Kit. Basically it helps guide you to get through the first months after you have been diagnosed. They also helped my find the SC agency Baby Net.
My heart has never felt so broken.



No comments:
Post a Comment