Well we have been very, very busy. On Friday February 12, 2010 we went to Sugar Creek Elementary School to meet the Psychologist, Joanne Shields, and so Dominick could be evaluated for early intervention in the school system. Ashlee, our in home therapist from Easter Seals, set up the meeting and met us at the school. Not the closest school to us but not too far away either. Beautiful school!
We went into a small conference room. There were some toys in the room for Dominick to play with. I began answering questions and telling our story, I now have a stock speech. She began to explain how the early intervention will work and what we need to get done before he becomes enrolled.
They will be working with Dominick on basic skills such as putting on and taking off shoes and clothes, feeding himself, interacting with others, dealing with structure, dealing with stress and how to deal with "NO", colors, shapes, textures, speech therapy and most importantly... POTTY TRAINING! And so much more.
Dominick was his usual funny, "Mr. Personality", hammy, cute self. He started his gibber gabber while we were talking. He would come up to the table, blow with his lips puckered making a loud noise and then start to fake laugh, "HA HA HE HE HA HA HA HE HA". Joanne made the comment that she is going to love working with him. After filling out paper work we were done. Task one done. Check.
Then on Monday I get a call from Tega Cay Speaks, Speech and Occupational therapy. Ashlee arranged for them to call me. Did I mention she is my hero? They were able to get me in today before my time with Ashlee. Two great things about Tega Cay Speaks, one, they are less than a mile away from me, two, Dominick can get both therapies he needs in one location. I go through the question and answer formality and give my "Stock Speech". She observes Dominick. Paper work. Dominick will be attending speech therapy two times a week for 30 minute sessions. YAY! Task two done. Check. The Occupational Therapist will be calling me to set up time for an evaluation within the next week or so.
Ashlee came over after our Tega Cay Speaks appointment. Dominick lit up when she came in. He immediately went for her bag of toys. He pulled out a ball she had on top. She was working on getting him to answer her and respond to verbal cues. After the ball she pulled out a puzzle with emergency vehicles on it, a police car, fire engine, helicopter, motorcycle and tow truck. She would hold up two pieces and ask him which one he wanted. He did a great job of answering her and telling her which one he wanted. After he put all the pieces in the correct spots she would ask him what each one was. She pointed to the police car and asked him what kind it was. He said, "That’s a car." WE HAVE A SENTENCE! Ashlee and I looked at each other in disbelief. SO HAPPY.
Everything is coming together. I now have a game plan. I now have therapies in place for my Monkey. I am getting him enrolled in school. Man I LOVE PROGRESS!
Thursday, February 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment